SECTION 1 (TITLE):
This act shall be known as the Grow Jobs through Apprenticeships Act.
SECTION 2 (PURPOSE):
To authorize the use of state regulated apprenticeships to fulfill licensure requirements necessary to perform certain occupations.
SECTION 3 (PROVISIONS):
(a) The DEPARTMENT or agency responsible for the administration of STATE occupational licenses is hereby authorized to recognize qualified apprenticeships as an alternative means of obtaining occupational licenses.
(b) DEPARTMENT shall establish the criteria necessary for granting licenses under this expanded apprenticeship program.
(c) The criteria established shall include, but is not limited to:
- (i) Completion of an apprenticeship program that:
- (1) Is approved by the STATE Department of Labor or the United States Department of Labor, or in accordance with any applicable state or federal law; and
- (2) Is completed either at a school that is licensed by STATE or by training with a person or employee or employer of a business licensed by STATE who holds the license for which the applicant applies; and
- (ii) Successful completion of any examination that is required of all professionals of that trade in the state.
- (1) The passing score on an examination must not discriminate between an applicant from an apprenticeship and an applicant from a vocational or trade school.
- (2) If the rules adopted by the applicable licensing board do not otherwise require successful completion of an examination, then an examination may not be required for participation in the expanded apprenticeship program.
(d) The DEPARTMENT shall promulgate rules necessary to implement the expanded apprenticeship program, including limitations on the maximum and minimum number of hours required by each authorized apprenticeship.
(e) The DEPARTMENT has the right to exempt classes of occupations from the expanded apprenticeship program.