(a) The legislature hereby finds:
- (1) Every child in school needs to have nutritious meals in order to achieve his or her potential.
- (2) Research shows that healthy eating, proper nutrition and regular physical activity result in students who have:
- (i) increased standardized achievement test scores; (ii) improved attendance; (iii) reduced tardiness; (iv) improved academic, behavioral and emotional functioning; and (v) improved nutrition, and for many students, the nutritious breakfast at school is essential.
- (3) Schools that provide universal breakfast programs also report:
- (i) Decreases in discipline and psychological problems; (ii) decreases in visits to school nurses; (iii) decreases in tardiness; (iv) increases in student attentiveness; (v) increases in attendance; and (vi) improved learning environments, and these positive attributes are furthered through comprehensive healthy schools policies that include quality nutrition, integrating physical activity during the school day, and teaching children about the importance of embracing a healthy active lifestyle.
- (4) An effective school breakfast program is not an interruption of the school day; it is an integral and vital part of the school day.
- (5) Serving breakfast after the start of school increases participation in school breakfast programs.
(b) “Breakfast After the Bell” means a breakfast that is offered to students after the beginning of the school day. Examples of breakfast after the bell models include, but are not limited to: (1) “Grab and go,” where easy-to-eat breakfast foods are available for students to take at the start of the school day or in between morning classes; (2) “Second chance breakfast,” where breakfast foods are available during recess, a nutrition break, or later in the morning, for students who are not hungry first thing in the morning, or who arrive late to school; (3) “Breakfast in the classroom,” where breakfast is served in the classroom, often during homeroom or first period; and (4) “Vending options,” where breakfast foods are stocked in free vending machines made available to students before, during, or after first period.
(c) “Community Eligibility Program” means a program meeting federal requirements under 7 CFR 245.9
(d) “DEPARTMENT” means the department of education or other state department that has responsibility in STATE for assisting schools and school districts to implement school meals programs.
(e) "School breakfast program" means a program meeting federal requirements under 42 U.S.C. Sec. 1773.
(f) It is the preferred policy of the state that each public school, nonprofit private school, and residential child care institution offers universal free school breakfast.
(g) It is the preferred policy of the state that schools and school districts implement Breakfast After the Bell programs.
(h) The DEPARTMENT shall develop and distribute educational resources for school districts and school meal coordinators that communicate best practices for implementing universal free school breakfast programs in schools that qualify to participate in the Community Eligibility Program and shall assist all eligible school districts to apply for Community Eligibility programs.
(i) The DEPARTMENT shall develop educational resources for school districts and school meal coordinators that communicate best practices for developing and implementing Breakfast After the Bell programs.
(j) The DEPARTMENT shall promulgate regulations to facilitate breakfast in the classroom counting as instructional time if that is within the Department’s jurisdiction or else will promulgate materials to the appropriate local jurisdictions to help them take that step.
(k) The DEPARTMENT shall develop educational resources for school districts and school meal coordinators that communicate best practices for including in-state agricultural products in school meals, including breakfast.
(l) The DEPARTMENT shall develop educational resources for school districts and school meal coordinators regarding federal, state, and private funding opportunities for universal breakfast after the bell programs.